Photo: ‘Confessions of a Dangerous Mind/Miramax ‘Confessions of a Dangerous Mind’ starring Sam Rockwell and written by the renowned father of existential horror, Charlie Kaufman, brings to life a character that we all know and do not love.Rockwell nails this brass, reckless character with a captivating performance of ‘cool’ energy and an eternal glaze of longing in his eyes. "My father had a game show when I was growing up called The Money Maze. It was released on March 19, 2019, by Visionary Music Group and Def Jam Recordings.The Music video for the track was released simultaneously via social media. Achetez neuf ou d'occasion Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. "After two months of screen tests and everything I still wasn't able to get Sam Rockwell," Clooney reflected. Hand-held cameras were used for scenes set in the 1970s,[7] an homage to the films of Sidney Lumet, Mike Nichols and Alan J. Pakula, primarily Klute (1971), Carnal Knowledge (1971), and The Parallax View (1974). [16], In December 2000, Ben Stiller was in discussions to star as Chuck Barris, with Bryan Singer directing and Clooney still aboard. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. [10] However, negotiations with Hogan fell through; Sam Mendes, David Fincher and Darren Aronofsky all became interested in taking over the director's position. Moreover, Kaufman does a nice job getting inside the head of this man who is trying to fight the demons of his own past, make a name for himself in the high stakes world of network programming, cope with his own inadequacies as a person, and come to terms with the vile things he is doing in his secret life all at the same time. Chuck Barris first sold the film rights of his "unauthorized autobiography" to Columbia Pictures in the late 1980s. Rounding out the cast are Clooney himself, as the mysterious CIA agent who draws Barris into this strange netherworld of intrigue and danger, Rutger Hauer, as a fellow hit man who pours out his feelings about his chosen occupation to Barris, Julia Roberts, as the icy cool CIA operative who pops up at various moments and in various places to keep an eye on the young recruit, and even Brad Pitt and Matt Damon, who show up for a truly hilarious cameo appearance together, one that had the audience at the screening I attended howling with delight.The $64,000 question becomes, of course, is this story even remotely true, or is it merely another case of this master showman's playing the public for all its worth? Tracklist . "[54] Internet reviewer James Berardinelli wrote a mixed critique. This is the story of a legendary showman's double life - television producer by day, C.I.A. His TV shows are canceled due to poor ratings, and Penny threatens to leave after catching him cheating on her. Barris, craving fame himself, was simply savvy enough to plug into that national mood - and managed to make himself a fortune and turn himself into a household name in the process. To accommodate the $30 million budget, Clooney convinced Roberts and Barrymore to lower their asking prices. 150 of 174 people found this review helpful. A law firm brings in its "fixer" to remedy the situation after a lawyer has a breakdown while representing a chemical company that he knows is guilty in a multibillion-dollar class action suit. A disk containing mysterious information from a CIA agent ends up in the hands of two unscrupulous and daft gym employees who attempt to sell it. [43] It also suffered poor sales in its September 2003 Region 1 DVD release. "[7], Because Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was his directing debut, Clooney took inspiration from friends Steven Soderbergh and the Coen brothers for his filmmaking style. I showed the guy how to do cue cards. Ouais, je ne peux pas faire mieux, je ne peux pas avoir plus d'argent. In the end, funding for Confessions of a Dangerous Mind came from Miramax, Clooney's own Section Eight Productions, Village Roadshow Pictures, producer Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance, Allied Filmmakers, and The Kushner-Locke Company. That was a big part of my pitch to Harvey Weinstein at Miramax. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. On this IMDbrief - presented by Acura - we explain how an online premiere resulted in a multi-million dollar payday and the Sundance 2021 must-see movies to add to your Watchlist. [24] Clooney explained, "I thought if I came on board as a director, for scale, and was able to bring everybody else on inexpensively, if I could get the film back down to $30 million, then I was going to be able to get the film made. Yeah, I can't get no better, can’t get no more cheddar. Meanwhile, ABC green-lights The Dating Game, and by 1967 the show is a phenomenon. Broadcast journalist Edward R. Murrow looks to bring down Senator Joseph McCarthy. The film was released to respectful reviews from critics and was modestly successful at the box office. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 79% based on 165 reviews, with an average rating of 7.2/10. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind may refer to: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, a 2002 film about Chuck Barris; Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, the fifth studio album by rapper Logic "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" (song), the second single and title track from the album Why does she switch them? Taking Stock. He finally decides to marry Penny. But for any director. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. And I'm unhappy with George Clooney. One night, Barris finds Byrd sitting atop the diving board of his backyard pool. White Stallion Ranch, Tucson, Arizona, USA. "I spent a lot of time working on the script," he explained, "but I don't think he was interested in the things I was interested in. His most famous hits (especially `The Gong Show') were all based on the premise that millions of Americans would be willing to humiliate themselves in public for a few moments of fleeting fame – and that millions more would tune in to bear witness to the spectacle. I've always been involved in the process with, This page was last edited on 1 February 2021, at 08:28. Was this review helpful to you? It was released on May 10, 2019, by Def Jam Recordings and Visionary Music Group. Sometimes it works, but mostly it comes across as too artsy, with all sorts of bizarre angles and unusual shots. Gebaseerd op waargebeurde feiten verteld hij het verhaal van Chuck Barris. Noté /5. Hij is een succesvolle televisiepresentator en ontmoet de liefde van zijn leven, Penny. [9] Mike Myers signed on to replace Sean Penn, who vacated the lead role. 6.5 Hyper HardBoiled Gourmet Report. Film Comédie policière : Chuck Barris lijkt het in de jaren 1960 en 1970 helemaal te maken. After her death, he returns home and begins writing his autobiography, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. If Barris had focused on the first book, it could have been great—a fun read. Trailer for George Clooney's film starring Sam Rockwell, Drew Barrymore, George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Rutger Hauer, Richard Kind, Maggie Gyllenhaal, What most of us didn't know about Barris at the time was that, while all this was going on, he was ostensibly leading a double life as a secret agent, tracking down and killing any number of `bad guys,' all in the name of `national security. Producător de televiziune de zi, asasin CIA noaptea, Chuck Barris a fost recrutat de CIA la înălțimea carierei sale de televiziune și antrenat pentru a deveni un operator ascuns. Also available on Netflix. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind feels more self-conscious than dangerous, and its lukewarm consistency suggests that Logic might benefit from taking more time between projects. [2] Producer Andrew Lazar optioned the film rights from Columbia in 1997 and set Confessions of a Dangerous Mind at Warner Bros. Pictures that same year. So we get a style that is about 50% Steven Soderbergh and 50% Coen brothers. [41] The film premiered out-of-competition at the May 2002 Cannes Film Festival[42] before Miramax Films gave it a limited release in the United States on December 31, 2002; the wide release came on January 24, 2003. Get a sneak peek of the new version of this page. The sense of dislocation this technique creates perfectly reflects the mental split occurring in Barris' own disturbed psyche. [26][38] Bob Fosse's All That Jazz also influenced Clooney's direction. 'Given the inherently incredible, jaw-dropping nature of the material, George Clooney, in his directorial debut, brings an appropriately surrealistic tone to the work. I've moved on and I don't have any animosity towards Clooney, but it's a movie I don't really relate to. Faced with the unpleasant truth about himself, Barris begins to spiral out of control. The film was George Clooney's directorial debut, was written by Charlie Kaufman and starred Sam Rockwell, Julia Roberts, Drew Barrymore, and Clooney. The DVD includes over 20 minutes of deleted scenes, Rockwell's three screen tests, a short documentary titled The Real Chuck Barris, Clooney's audio commentary, and a making-of featurette. Renaissance was also unable to close the financing in time to accommodate both the "production insurance" deadline and the 65-day shooting schedule,[21] which was set to primarily take place in Montreal and British Columbia, Canada. hitman. After a cup of coffee with her, Barris collapses, seemingly poisoned. [6] Although Singer was interested in Sam Rockwell in the lead role,[17] the director cast Johnny Depp to replace Stiller and commenced pre-production in January 2001[18] on a planned $35 million budget. Confessions d'un homme dangereux (titre original : Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) est un film germano-britannico-américain réalisé par George Clooney, sorti en 2002. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind [Barris, Chuck] on Amazon.com. [6] Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, and Edward Norton had also been attached to the film in the early development stages. I'm unhappy with the end result. The film was George Clooney's directorial debut, was written by Charlie Kaufman and starred Sam Rockwell, Julia Roberts, Drew Barrymore, and Clooney. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind But did you know that he was also a hit man for the CIA? Retrouvez Confessions of a Dangerous Mind: An Unauthorized Autobiography et des millions de livres en stock sur Amazon.fr. "I don't remember the 1950s – I wasn't around for them – I know the 50s through Technicolor. Patricia reveals that she is the mole. Penny manages to find him and tries in vain to convince him to return to California to get married. "George Clooney is eager to show how much he has learned at the hands of the A-list filmmakers he has toiled under. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is a 2002 biographical spy film depicting the fictional life of popular game show host and producer Chuck Barris, who claimed to have also been an assassin for the CIA. Distraught, he confesses to her his double life as a CIA assassin, but she merely laughs, assuming he is joking, and he decides not to correct her. I thought that was an interesting person to explore, and that's what we wanted to do with the film. On a CIA mission in Helsinki, Finland, he meets female operative Patricia Watson. "George Clooney's directorial debut is not only intriguing as a story but great to look at," Ebert said, "a marriage of bright pop images from the 1960s and 1970s and dark, cold spyscapes that seem to have wandered in from John le Carré. Logic (27) ‎– Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind Label: Visionary Music Group ‎– B0030541-04, Def Jam Recordings ‎– B0030541-04 Format: Cassette, Album, Limited Edition Country: US Released: 10 May 2019 Genre: Hip Hop. [32] Clooney commented, "Julia really helped me. In the same interview, Barris noted that he had applied for work with the CIA in the early 1960s but never actually entered the agency; Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was the product of Barris imagining how he could have done both at the same time. 3.8 Father of the Bride. However, he is captured by the KGB and, after some weeks, freed during a west–east spy exchange. Filming for Confessions of a Dangerous Mind ended in late April 2002. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is the 2002 biographical film that marked the directorial debut of George Clooney.The film is based on the autobiography of Chuck Barris (portrayed by Sam Rockwell), the comedic host of The Gong Show who claimed that he worked as an assassin for the CIA.. The filmmakers certainly take it all very seriously, as evidenced by the fact that they have various friends and business acquaintances of Barris (Dick Clark, Jay P. Morgan) providing interviews for the film, interviews which hint at the dark possibility that the basis of the story might indeed be factual, given the kind of person these people claim Barris is. In 1970, Byrd convinces Barris to go on a mission to West Berlin to assassinate Hans Colbert. PriPara. And I say that for the film juggles both humor and drama with such ease like even his, Clooney's crime partners weren't able to. [5] Rockwell had always been Clooney's first choice ever since they worked together on Welcome to Collinwood (2002). Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind The Logic (Artist) Format: Audio CD. 137 of 140 found this interesting Interesting? Robert Ford, who's idolized Jesse James since childhood, tries hard to join the reforming gang of the Missouri outlaw, but gradually becomes resentful of the bandit leader. He can't drive a $28 million film, but Julia certainly can. I had a movie that I wrote and that isn't it. Sam Rockwell won the Silver Bear for Best Actor and George Clooney was nominated the Golden Bear but lost to Michael Winterbottom of In This World. The production resumed when Clooney took over directing duties. An adaptation of the cult memoir of game show impresario Chuck Barris (Sam Rockwell), in which he purports to have been a C.I.A. Barris is introduced to German-American agent Keeler, whom he helps to kill Colbert. Certain scenes break through the constraints of time and space, as when Barris is talking on the phone in his apartment to an ABC executive, who is sitting in his office, and the two locations become one on the screen. "[51], Mick LaSalle from the San Francisco Chronicle wrote that "there may be more entertaining and less problematic movies, but Confessions of a Dangerous Mind has something about it that hangs in there, working on the mind like a dog gnawing on a table leg. Barris finds it impossible to make a real, meaningful connection to another human being, so twisted has he become in his value system and bizarre lifestyle. assassin by night. Why does Chuck switch the cups and then Patricia switches them back afterwards? "[47] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 67/100, based on 33 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews". This gives the film a kind of pseudo-documentary realism that heightens the verisimilitude of what we are seeing on screen. Sam was the guy for the part, ready to break and hadn't yet. "In my opinion, you cannot have famous people playing famous people. An adaptation of the cult memoir of game show impresario Chuck Barris (Sam Rockwell), in which he purports to have been a C.I.A. "[53], Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times gave a negative review. Fireplace and Melodies for the Holidays. [29] Barris filmed cameo appearances of himself during the shoot in Canada and taped a voice-over in Clooney's house. Her doing the part made it possible for me to cast Sam Rockwell. [6][7][8], Hanson eventually dropped out, but with the financial success of My Best Friend's Wedding (1997), P. J. Hogan entered discussions with Warner Bros. to direct in January 1998. Drew Barrymore brings her usual charm to the role of Penny, Barris' one true love and the only person genuinely drawn to Barris as a person, even though he is unable to commit himself to her fully, preferring instead to keep the relationship `casual' and uncommitted. Keeler is murdered and Byrd warns Barris of a mole in the agency. I know what those sets look like. Barris, Dick Clark, Jim Lange, Murray Langston, Jaye P. Morgan, and Gene Patton are featured in interviews central to the storyline. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. He finds more success back home when The Newlywed Game goes on air. [24] From January to March 2002, production for Confessions of a Dangerous Mind took place primarily in California and Montreal. Amazon's Choice recommends highly rated and well-priced products. [43] The film only barely recouped its production costs,[44] grossing only $33.01 million, of which $16 million was domestic revenue and $17.01 million came from foreign markets. Starring Sam Rockwell, George Clooney, and Julia Roberts, ‘Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind’ chronicles the secret life of Chuck Barris. "[55], "George Clooney: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind", "George Clooney Talks About "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, "Drew Barrymore Talks About "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, "George Hamilton's mom may be subject of pic", "Nader's death another sad finale to a glamorous H'w'd life", "Sam Rockwell: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind", "Kidman Gets Dangerous Again with Clooney", "The Way We Live Now: Questions For George Clooney; True Confessions", "Movie Preview: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind", "Refugees' plight tops Berlin film festival", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Confessions_of_a_Dangerous_Mind_(film)&oldid=1004150476, Films with screenplays by Charlie Kaufman, Films about the Central Intelligence Agency, Short description is different from Wikidata, Official website different in Wikidata and Wikipedia, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, I was upset by the fact that Clooney took the movie from me and then cut me out after that. [26] Writer Charlie Kaufman said he was dissatisfied with the way Clooney treated the screenplay. Racking focuses were highly stylized for scenes set in the 1960s, similar to the Spaghetti Westerns of that era. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is Logic’s sixth studio album, and his second release of 2019. We all remember Chuck Barris as the creator of some of television's most successful - albeit notoriously mind-numbing - game shows: `The Dating Game,' `The Newlywed Game,' and `The Gong Show.' [35] After Rockwell's casting, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was once again briefly postponed; Miramax did not greenlight the film until Roberts signed on. Kaufman is known for devising elaborately absurd scenarios for his fictional films (`Being John Malkovich,' `Adaptation' etc. [30], When asked about Barris's claim of being a CIA assassin, Clooney commented, "I don't know how much I believed it. Not Technicolor as it was shot, but Technicolor as it has faded now. A puppeteer discovers a portal that leads literally into the head of movie star John Malkovich. "He's more like a weirdly sincere space cadet, babbling to himself with puppyish befuddlement, breaking into funky soft dance moves that look as if he's been doing them in his bedroom since he was 8. Whether the film is really a true story or merely a grand lark perpetrated on an increasingly credulous audience, the fact is that `Confessions of a Dangerous Mind' turns out to be a thoroughly entertaining, utterly loony piece of original filmmaking.`Confessions of a Dangerous Mind' marks an auspicious debut for Clooney as a director, who, in his work behind the camera, demonstrates a thorough command of vision and style. [19] Renaissance Pictures was holding international distribution rights, but the filmmakers still needed more financing as well as a studio to cover distribution duties in the United States. Why wouldn't Patricia have the cup with the poison already nearest Chuck? Barris has tricked Patricia into drinking from the poisoned cup, and she falls dead. [21], With Singer busy preparing X2, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was rejuvenated with Clooney taking over as director. In the world of movies, who says fact isn't stranger than fiction?In many ways, Barris was one of the men responsible for starting the trend towards `reality television' that so dominates network programming today. "[4] A drug addiction subplot was removed based on Barris's request for historical authenticity. . To accommodate the $30 million budget, Clooney convinced Drew Barrymore and Julia Roberts to lower their salaries. Televiziunea l-a făcut celebru, dar cele mai mari hituri ale sale s-au întâmplat pe ecran. [3], Under Clooney's direction, filming was initially set to begin in September 2001, but principal photography did not start until January 14, 2002. hitman. [38] Clooney also agreed to cameo in Miramax's Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams (2002) so Rockwell could be cast. View production, box office, & company info, Rated R for language, sexual content and violence, George Clooney to Receive Movies for Grownups Awards Career Achievement Honor, George Clooney To Be Honored By AARP’s Movies for Grownup Awards, Movie Review | The Midnight Sky: The sci-fi drama has poignant core, Most Underrated Movies of the Last 20 Years, Tricks of the Trade: Making 'Matchstick Men'. Miramax Films agreed to cover distribution duties and co-finance the film. "[27] Clooney acknowledged that Kaufman's original script contained "really funky scenes that would never reach the green light of being a studio film. Columbia president Dawn Steel greenlighted Confessions of a Dangerous Mind with Jim McBride directing. [3] Charlie Kaufman entered discussions to write a new screenplay in June 1997[2] and finished his first draft later that year.